Keeping the food under a platform or ridge tile will help to prevent other animals like Dogs, Cats or Foxes stealing the hedgehog’s food.
Build or buy a small feeding station or house to put the food into that will only allow hedgehogs to get in.
This will also help keep the food, especially biscuits dry in the rain and prevents it freezing in the winter.
Put the water OUTSIDE the feeding station. ( In freezing weather put water inside the feeding station)
The quick, cheap and easy way:
- Get a plastic storage box about 12″ wide by 18″ long (or bigger)
- Either use it with the lid on, or turn the box upside down. Cut a 4″ to 5″ hole ( about a large fist size) in one of the short ends.
- Tape around the cut-out hole
- Hedgehogs can be messy eaters, so put plenty of newspaper on the floor of the box
- Put the food at the opposite end so a fox or cat cannot put their long arm in and pull out the food
- Put a brick or heavy weight on top of the box, to stop it being knocked over or the lid pulled off.
- If cats or foxes still try to get in, then place the box about 6″ away from a wall as shown in the last 3 pictures (with the entrance facing towards the wall)
Click on the pictures to enlarge
Wildlife World sell a purpose-built hedgehog feeding station (HHF). It is a perfect size for 2 bowls of food and allows a large hedgehog to eat easily. Notice the maze-like entrance to prevent cats and foxes etc stealing the food. Hedgehogs can be messy eaters, so put plenty of newspaper on the floor of the box
Please also see our Houses page for hedgehog houses. This is an ideal size to also use as a hedgehog house, so is a dual purpose design.
£35 + £3 p&pBuy Now
This is a full size hedgehog feeding station with 2 x protected entrances, hinged eco-sheet roof with roof stay for easy access to fill water and feeding bowls, as well as inspection and cleaning. The interior is large enough to hold 2 x dishes and a number of feeding hedgehogs simultaneously. The height of the feeding station along with the predator protected entrance holes stop even the most determined cats from getting to the food, giving the hedgehogs a peaceful safe place to eat.
£52.95 includes Free next day deliveryBuy Now