Warwickshire Wildlife Trust
Full time 35 hours/week, 1 year Fixed Term Contract
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual to help us to deliver the second phase of our Hedgehog Improvement Area project. You will play a key role in the delivery of a community based hedgehog conservation project in Rugby throughout 2016.
The successful candidate will have a solid background in conservation and ecological monitoring and importantly will be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and passion for hedgehog conservation.
The successful candidate will have:
Join a supportive and friendly team and make a difference.
How to apply
For more information visit our website: www.warwickshirewildlifetrust.org.uk
Closing Date: 5 p.m. on 10th February 2016
Provisional Interview Date: week commencing 29th February 2016
The hedgehog has long had a close connection with people. It has been an animal of fascination, endearment and cultural significance since the ancient Egyptians. The Romans regarded it as a weather prophet, and modern gardeners depend on the creature to keep their gardens free of pests. This book explores how this and other characteristics of the small creature have propelled it to the top of a number of polls of people’s favorite animals. People react with passion and enthusiasm for the hedgehog, as it is, quite unusually, a wild animal that one can connect with. When scared the hedgehog stays still, allowing a closer look. It remains one of the few creatures that people can get close to without the fear of an attack, or it running away at the slightest movement. The hedgehog has spread through Europe and Asia to the foot of Africa, and is a prickly pet in the USA. The hedgehog’s appeal and public accessibility has lead to it to be found on numerous products, from advertising to films and children’s books. Instantly recognizable, benign in reputation, Hedgehog demonstrates that there is much to admire about this beautiful, and now threatened, icon of wildlife.
Buy Hugh’s new book direct from Amazon, either as a paperback or a kindle
With subzero temperatures set to continue, people have been reaching for the antifreeze to prevent the water in their car radiators from turning into ice. But antifreeze can be deadly to animals,
Most brands of antifreeze have a sweet taste, which can be tempting to animals and even children. The main ingredient in most antifreeze brands is ethylene glycol. Animals who ingest this chemical will promptly begin to suffer from vomiting, convulsions and kidney failure. If animals don’t receive immediate veterinary care, they face a painful, almost certain death.
If an animal does come into contact with antifreeze, it’s crucial that you get him or her to a vet within the first few hours of ingestion – any later, and the liver will already have started to metabolise the poison, leading to kidney failure and ultimately death.
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include a drunken appearance (ie, staggering, lack of coordination, apparent disorientation and vomiting). Animals who have ingested antifreeze might also appear listless or depressed.
Please help keep animals safe by being extra vigilant when using antifreeze: avoid spills, be sure to always tighten the cap securely after use and store the antifreeze in a place where animals and children can’t get to it.
Better yet, choose antifreeze products that contain propylene glycol rather than the far more toxic ethylene glycol. If the ingredients aren’t listed, then look for a brand of antifreeze that contains a bittering agent, as this might deter animals from ingesting it. Tell everyone you know about this danger!
November 5th comes first so please do take extra care when checking bonfires. It is far better to collect the materials for the fire and only put them into place on the day it is to be lit. Those built before the day can attract hedgehogs so should be inspected before lighting. If possible lift the materials around the bottom edge of the pile using a broom handle or similar and check for extra piles of leaves or you may even see the hedgehog itself. A disturbed hedgehog may also make a hissing sound (like a snake) to try to intimidate those disturbing it. Start by lighting one side bonfire and allow the quiet side, ie the side with the least people standing around, to remain unburnt for a few minutes as this may allow an escape route for any missed hedgehogs.
If you find a hedgehog put it in a high sided box with some meat based cat food and a towel to snuggle under. Put it in a quiet place and once the noise etc has died down release the hedgehog with its dish of food.
Depending on the weather and how far north you are will depend on when those larger hedgehogs will go into hibernation. Mid November is about the time many will choose. Those that do not hibernate (Autumn Juveniles), particularly when the weather turns colder will need extra help.
Regular visitors should be able to cope provided extra food is always put out every evening. Weighing them regularly should ensure there is a weight gain. If there is a problem eg out in the day or there is only a small weight gain or it is still considered too small to hibernate and the weather is closing in then contact the BHPS for details of a local hedgehog rehabilitator. In addition those wandering without a regular supply of food and especially when there are frosts expected will struggle to find any natural food so they too will need to be rescued. So if you find a hedgehog that you have not seen around before weigh it and call the BHPS for advice.
If you are concerned about any hedgehog, or you see one out in the day, contact the British Hedgehog Preservation Society on 01584 890801 (if you can weigh the hedgehog first that is always helpful, but do use gloves when you handle them). For more information about hedgehogs and how to help them, including a leaflet on Autumn Juveniles visit the BHPS web site at www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk
You can get some basic tips for immediate first aid to help a sick or injured hedgehog, until you can take it to a vet or Rescue centre for proper treatment
I have seen some really weird and wonderful treatments for various ailments in hedgehogs recommended over the years. But one I heard about today really takes the biscuit.
Somebody has been recommending covering an infected wound or a wound with maggots with flour to smother and dry out the maggots. This is very dangerous, will not work and will cause severe damage and unnecessary pain to the hedgehog.
Not only is it an old wives tale, but it is illegal and you can be prosecuted for failing to provide the correct care for the hedgehog and causing unnecessary suffering
Any injured hedgehog ( or other wild animal) should always be taken to a proper wildlife rescue centre or vet for treatment. You should only give immediate basic first aid yourself, to stop any suffering and stop bleeding etc, to give it a chance to survive while you are getting to the vet or centre.
These 3 baby hedgehogs were found in Harlow by Michelle. 2 were found on the first day and the 3rd was found about 4 days later. They were all dehydrated and had fly eggs and tiny maggots just hatching out
After hard work by Pat who does a lot of rearing of babies for us, they are thriving
Here are a few pictures of them and a couple of videos
Please note: Hedgehogs are nocturnal animals and healthy hedgehogs should never be seen out in daylight. These photos are staged photos under supervision. If you ever see baby hedgehogs out in daylight, they need urgent help and should immediately be picked up and taken to a rescue centre for help
This is an X-ray of a baby hedgehog that was picked up from Nazeing ( a small village in-between Waltham Abbey and Harlow) in Essex yesterday. It weighed approx. 100g
It was found out in daylight wandering along the finders driveway. How it managed to survive for even this long is a surprise. For one, the area is Badger country and there are very few hedgehogs, just an odd pocket right in the village.
The deformity is so great that as the hog grew, it would have struggled to breath. You can see the angle the spine has deformed to and the way the ribcage is almost at 90 degrees to the normal line of the body.
Obviously it was euthanized as there was absolutely no hope of it ever surviving and living a pain free and happy life.
I am really surprised that it wasn’t paralysed already, the spinal cord must have been under extreme pressure.
This is the second one we have seen like this in the last few months, both from widely differing areas
We are very lucky to have the South Essex Wildlife Hospital available to anybody with wildlife injuries with their new digital X-ray equipment that takes x-rays of such great & wonderful detail to help in diagnosis & treatment
Note: if you download the picture, you can enlarge it quite successfully and see the detail. You can even see the spines and hair